Disability Benefits you may be Entitled To.

man holding a bunch of money notes
man holding a bunch of money notes Image credit:

Over the last few months’ disability living allowance has been the centre of many topical news stories, thanks to the government plans to cut benefits.

Whilst the current disability living allowance is to be replaced by the PIP (Personal Independence Payment) there’s still more benefit systems associated with disability which you may be able to claim for. So, whilst the government are trying to make as much cut-backs as they possibly can we thought we would bring to your attention other claims you may be entitled to.

The Employment and Support Allowance supports those who are unable to work because of their illness or disability, the allowance replaced the Incapacity Benefit in 2008. It also supports disabled people who can be employed by providing you with a trained personal adviser. If you fancy claiming you will have to face a Work Capability Assessment which will focus on your abilities when placed in working and non-working environment.

Constant Attendance Allowance is available to those who need constant care around the clock and is available for those claiming Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and War Disablement Pensions.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases) supports those with various forms of diseases because of their working environment including deafness, chronic bronchitis or emphysema, pneumoconiosis and asthma. However, you cannot make a claim if you contracted your illness being self-employed.

Disabled Facilities Grants go towards adapting your home to match your needs; For instance, widening doors, extra heating and lighting, installing ramps etc. An occupational therapist will pay you a visit and give recommendations. Unfortunately a swimming pool in the back garden to improve your daily exercise isn’t seen as suitable adjustment within the home.

War Pensioners' Welfare Service (WPWS) as you may expect is for war veterans and those who have been injured serving time in HM Armed Forces. Those entitled to the service are given priority and private treatment, adaption’s to their home if required, skilled nursing care and other bonuses including paid expenses when travelling to hospitals. If your injury occurred before 6 April 2005 you may be able to claim a War Disablement Pension.

Vaccine Damage Payment is a one-off payment of £120,000 if you are left severely disabled as a result of a vaccine such as mumps, measles, TB, poliomyelitis, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), rubella (German measles) and other diseases which lead to a life-term effect on your health.

Attendance Allowance is given to disabled people over the age of 65 who require personal assistance. If you are terminally ill you may be eligible for a higher payment straight away.

Direct payments for care and services are for those people who prefer to pay for their own care opposed to funding from the local council. If you are 16 or over and able to manage your own payments you should be eligible for this service.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) supports those in higher education with a form of disability or learning difficulties; The funding goes towards computer software, travel costs and specialised equipment, such as Braille paper. You can qualify if you are doing a postgraduate or undergraduate course which lasts at least twelve months. Unfortunately the services do not cover all specialised equipment which matches student needs, for example an adapted bong!

Community Care Grants help those who are live independently, you can still claim for a grant if you are already receiving Income supports. Those who are eligible for a grant include people needing help visiting an ill family member, if you need to stay in your home opposed to moving into residential care or if you are moving from residential care to live independently. The grant is also available for those whose family members are facing extreme pressure due to a long-term illness or a breakdown.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) covers those who are disabled due to a severe accident. You can clam if you were in employment when the incident occurred and the accident took place in England, Scotland or Wales.